Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Corn Muffins


I've dreamed about southern USA skillet cornbread, but never come across a recipe which screamed BAKE ME! I don't have a skillet for a start...

This weekend we had a roast chook, and I threw the bones and sundries into a pot and made some chicken and vege soup. Included some home grown celery - very proud of that!

Anyway to get to the point, to make this into a meal for dinner, it needed a bit of suport in the carbohydrate department. I started by adding a tin of cannelini beans to the soup, but my genius moment was corn muffins.


1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose gluten free baking mix
1/3 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup rice milk

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Grease muffin pan or use those floppy silicone ones like me.
In a large bowl, mix everything together, and stir gently until just combined. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into a muffin comes out clean.

The key with muffins is to work fast, and mix only as much as you have to - not a single mix more! If you see the odd bit of unmixed flour, just stir this little area a bit until it is wet, and go with it. It will turn out ok I promise!

Next time I would use a little less sugar, and maybe a pinch of cayenne pepper. Josh said he loved them, they tasted just how he remembered corn bread.

2 comments:

  1. Ok - so all I need to do is change the egg for egg white and oil and of course experiment myself with whatever flour :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Caro - they are CORN muffins!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete