Sunday, June 27, 2010

Curry for toddlers?

Lately miss 18mo has been returning quite a bit of her dinner by throwing it at me. Not my favorite way to eat the evening meal being pelted by bits of broccoli and carrot! So I tred to think of a few evening meals she would enjoy more, and we might find bedtime a little easier if she had a satisfied full tummy.

She really likes Babotie, but it has apricot jam in it, so who wouldn't? I was aiming for something a little healthier than that, but still needed a little sweetness. It worked a treat, and Mum and Dad liked it so much we forgot to take a photo until it was all gone!

Chicken Banana Curry

Makes enough for the 3 of us and Josh's lunch for the following day.

Put on some rice to cook however you like to do it.

1 onion chopped, cook with a little oil in a heavy bottom pan.
Add a few cloves of garlic, crushed or chopped whatever - out of a jar at my house :-)
1 tsp fresh ginger, also out of a jar.
Then, 400g chicken thighs, cubed with
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp chilli (those jars again!)
1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1/4 tsp garam masala
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground cinnamon
pinch ground cardamon
Stir together, coating the chicken and sealing the meat
Pour in a tin of coconut milk.
Add some water if you want to increase the amount of sauce.
Cook down a bit, then when the rice is almost ready add in
2 bananas roughly chopped.

Allow to simmer another 5 mins or so, and serve with some steamed veg on the side.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. I would never have tried this combo. I wonder if my little food monster will be into it. He loves bananas and chicken so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its sure to be a winner :-) let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete